The Tightwad Fire Protection District is governed by a 3-member Board of Directors who are elected by the voters of the District in April of odd numbered years. Directors serve 6-year staggered terms.
From January 25, 2021 until April 12, 2022, the District was temporarily governed by a Court-Appointed Special Master and Receiver.
All decisions by the Board of Directors require at least 2 "yes" votes. The Board adopts & amends a budget, policies, and administrative procedures, approves contracts & expenditures, & appoints operations personnel such as the Fire Chief, Assistant Fire Chief, Firefighters, and First Responders. The Board also:
- Determines the District's Mission, Vision, critical issues, and Strategic/Master Plan
- Ensures compliance with Federal & State laws, codes, rules & regulations
- Sets fees, sales tax rate, & property tax rate levy
- Allocates & is a steward for District's assets & resources
- Monitors progress towards compliance with Federal & State laws, codes, rules & regulations, fulfilling the District's Mission & reaching the District's Vision
- Develops personnel job qualifications, position/role descriptions/expectations, reporting structure, & succession
- Calls for & declare elections, including candidate filing
- Approves the annual Financial Report
Directors also must take Certified Fire & Ambulance District Board Training within a year of being elected or appointed--click here to see scheduled classes.